SSE Airtricity Women's National League | Week 4

SSE Airtricity Women's National League | Week 4
Lisa Ennis
Lisa Ennis

It was an exciting Super Saturday in the SSE Airtricity Women's National League, as champions Shelbourne clicked into gear and Peamount United hosted DLR Waves in a top of the table clash.

Shelbourne 7-0 Cork City
Last seasons champions were dominant at Tolka Park running in six goals.

The first of the Reds goals came in 14th minute, the Cork defense cleared a corner, only for Jess Gargan to find Shauna Fox who slotted home. Shels got their second shortly after, also from a corner, this time Noelle Murray getting on the scoresheet.

Jess Stapleton starred late in the first half scoring twice to make it 4-0. Shels made a raft of changes at half-time and it didn't take long for them to add to their lead with Gloria Douglas scoring and Jemma Quinn netting her first competitive goal for the club. Katie O'Dowd got a goal in added time to put the home side into sevenh heaven.


Peamount United 3-2 DLR Waves
Peamount's experience showed in this top of the table clash as they held off a DLR Waves second half fight-back to ensure their 100% record remained intact.

The 2020 champions stunned the Waves with two early goals. Tiegan Ruddy's corner was headed in by Erin McLaughlin inside the opening ten minutes. Moments later Ruddy once again was the provider and played in Lauren Kelly who doubled the lead.

Aine O'Gorman, as she often does, chipped in with a goal to make it 3-0 at halftime. But Waves hit back in the second period with Mia Dodd's long-range effort finding iit's way into the net. The visitors kept the pressure on and eventually got a second through a screamer from Oleta Griffin.

Ultimately Peamount used their know-how to close out the game against a battling Waves to remain top of the league.


Wexford Youths 3-1 Treaty United
Wexford were relatively comfortable winners against a resilient Treaty United side.

The Youths applied pressure early on but could not breakdown the Treaty defense. Kylie Murphy eventually broke the deadlock just before the break.

Goalkeeper Michaela Mitchell was impressive, but could do nothing to prevent Wexford's second, with Ellen Molloy finding herself in the right place to steer home a well-worked move.

Murphy added a third late on the put a gloss on the scoreline. It was a game in which Wexford showed their quality,, with Emma O'Donoghue particularly good.

Athlone Town 3-1 Galway WFC
An even game at Athlone Town Stadium saw the home side ultimately run out winners.

The first half was an arm wrestle with both sides finding it difficult to create anything clear cut. A draw a fair result at halftime..

In the second half Athlone made more of their possession and broke the deadlock just past the hour mark when Gillian Keenan took down a ball from a corner and finished confidently. Ten minutes latter it was another set piece that led to a second Athlone goal. Kelsey Munroe swung in a freekick from the right, and it found it's way into the net.

Galway hit back instantaneously with Aoife Thompson heading home a cross straight after kick-off. Gillian Keenan got a second late on to ensure the points went to Athlone.

Sligo Rovers 1-3 Bohemians
Bohs were the only away side to win this week, as they saw off a hard-working Sligo.

The Dublin side got an early goal from a Katie Burdis corner, with Chloe Darby heading home. Remarkably goalkeeper Kristen Sample scored what looked to be an equalizer, only for it to be ruled out due to it coming directly from an indirect free-kick.

Sinead Taylor doubled the away side's lead and she added a second later on as The Gypsies hit their groove. Late in the game Emma Hansberry scored a consolation free-kick for Sligo.

SSE Airtricity Women's National League Standings Week 4

SSE Airtricity Women's National League Standings Week 4


Sign Up to our newsletter

Processing your request...

Follow us for more