SSE Airtricity WNL Round-Up

SSE Airtricity WNL Round-Up SSE Airtricity WNL Round-Up
Lucy Carrier-Pilkington

The title race in the SSE Airtricity Women's National League had an interesting twist on Saturday as Wexford Youths took over from champions Shelbourne at the top.

Shels lost narrowly to Peamount United in an entertaining Dublin Derby, which was broadcast live on TG4, while Wexford stormed back against Cork City to claim three vital points.

Bohemians and Galway also celebrated wins as DLR Waves held Athlone Town to a draw.

Sligo Rovers 2-5 Galway WFC 
The Connacht Derby started off quite evenly, with both sides finding good space and creating chances. It was Sligo who found themselves ahead in the 8th minute, after Paula McGrory scored from a header in the box.


Only two minutes after, Galway equalised from a corner, Jamie Erickson getting the header. It was Sligo who took the lead again soon after, McGrory finding herself free in the box again, and volleyed the ball into the back of the net.

A couple of minutes before half-time, Galway had another corner kick opportunity. A set piece straight from the training ground saw Shauna Brennan fire her strike into the top corner to equalise.

The second half started with the away side looking hungry to get the win. Another corner kick saw Galway take the lead with Bryce Reynolds getting the header. On 62 minutes, Chloe Singleton's header came off the post and into the net.

Galway’s fifth and final goal came in the 70th minute, Jenna Slattery taking on the strike from range and scoring a great goal.


DLR Waves 1-1 Athlone Town
It was an even contest between these two, with both sides hungry to get the three points.

On 24 minutes, Gillian Keenan passed the ball into Emily Corbet in the box, but Corbet couldn’t keep her shot down and put the ball narrowly over the bar.

Despite The Waves being under pressure for most of the first half, it was DLR who got the first goal just before half-time. A cross from Sarah McKevitt was met by Kate Mooney in the box and she finished to put her side ahead.

Just before the break, Mia Dodd had a excellent chance to put her side 2-0 up, but her shot hit off the top of the crossbar.

Although being behind in the game, Athlone continued to press and create chances. Finally in the 76th minute, the away side equalised. The ball fell to Madison Gibson in the box and she calmly controlled to hit the back of the net from close range.

The game finished 1-1, a point for both sides but a result that will help neither team in the long-run.

Treaty United 0-4 Bohemians
Bohemians made hard work of the opening half against a struggling Treaty side despite dominating possession. They had the ball in the net after 10 minutes but Abbie Brophy’s finish was ruled out by the assistant’s flag.

Five minutes later goalkeeper Trish Fennelly had to palm Rachel Doyle’s free-kick over the crossbar, and 10 minutes before the break Brophy beat three defenders before scooping her effort over the bar.

It looked like Treaty would make it to half-time without conceding. But just three minutes before the break Doyle’s effort on goal deflected past Fennelly to hand Bohemians the lead.

Brophy added a second for Bohs five minutes into the second half, rolling the ball under Fennelly who will have been disappointed not to have stopped it. And she got her second goal on 55 minutes, taking advantage of another defensive error.

Brophy then turned provider on 70 minutes, threading her way in from the side-line and setting up Niamh Prior who volleyed in Bohs’ fourth.

Wexford Youths 5-1 Cork City
Wexford bossed the early stages of this game as they set about the task of knocking Shelbourne off the top of the WNL table but they were rocked back onto their heels when Christina Dring whipped a loose ball into the home net after fine approach play by Eva Mangan.

For the next half hour City put in a performance of patience and discipline that belied their lowly league position, but six minutes from the break Danielle Burke was adjudged to have caught Becky Watkins as the pair chased a loose ball. The contact was minimal but Aoibheann Clancy drove the resulting penalty high into the City net and the sides went in level at half-time.

Less than 10 minutes into the second period Wexford went ahead through another penalty after Kylie Murphy had been bundled over in the Cork area. Clancy again did the honours from the spot.

City started to tire in the final third and Wexford took advantage on 67 minutes when Ciara Rossiter ran through on goal and slid the ball past goalkeeper Abby McCarthy. And Wexford secured the points with two goals in the final 10 minutes. Ellen Molloy fired in from 20 yards for her obligatory goal before Kylie Murphy stabbed home from close range to seal the deal.

Shelbourne 0-1 Peamount United
It was Peamount who got the better of Shelbourne this time, as Shels had beaten their rivals the last three times the pair met.

The game was entertaining from the off, with good football being played by both sides and at times, was end to end. Shelbourne were the team that needed the win, and Peamount weren’t going to make it easy for them.

The first half finished scoreless, with Peamount the unluckier of the two sides. Stephanie Roche and Áine O’Gorman both had a great opportunities to put their side ahead but couldn’t convert.

The second half was much the same. Jessie Stapleton had a great chance early on, and Niamh Reid-Burke did really well to deny the Shels player.

The patience finally paid off for The Peas and in the 77th minute, Roche got the ball in the back of the net from a Sadhbh Doyle cross.

It finished 1-0 to The Peas, and for Shelbourne they now move to second place in the table after Wexford Youths overcame Cork City to go top.

Sign Up to our newsletter

Processing your request...

You are subscribed now!

Follow us for more

Copyright © 2022. Developed & Designed by Square1 and powered by