ROUND-UP for SSE Airtricity Women's National League

ROUND-UP for SSE Airtricity Women's National League

Treaty United 0-6 Galway WFC
Galway made the trip down to Markets Field in Limerick, seeking out another win against Treaty United.

The Galway side started sharply and it took less than a minute to get the scoreline going. It was Lynsey McKey with the finish after a great pass across the box from Chloe Singleton.

Galway continued to move the ball around well and taking advantage of space that opened up for them on the pitch. I’m the 28th minute, Kate Thompson took on the shot from range and what a fine strike it was to double Galway’s lead.

Singleton got Galway’s third with a fine finish in the 50th minute, and Saoirse Healey was the fourth goalscorer for the away side on 54 minutes.


On 80 minutes, Galway substitute Rola Olusola took advantage of a mistake in the Treaty defence to make it 5-0. Five minutes after, Olusola again won the ball back off the Treaty defence, squared to Jenna Slattery and she finished to make it six.

Treaty United did have some positive moments in the game and did trouble Galway keeper Abbiegayle Ronayne into making a great save just before half-time, but they’ll be looking to improve heading into the next couple of games.

Treaty United Squad Portraits 2022

Photo by Sam Barnes/Sportsfile


Cork City 3-2 Sligo Rovers 
In a game full of chances and dramatic moments, it was Cork City who came out victorious over Sligo Rovers at Turner’s Cross.

Cork started off this game with a determination to win and took control early on. On 12 minutes, Laura Shine got onto a long ball over the top and finished past Amy Mahon to give Cork the lead. Soon after against the run of play, Sligo struck back through Paula McGrory who took on the shot from range.

It was a close contest throughout the game, and it was Sligo who took the lead in the 60th minute, McGrory again with a brilliant left-footed finish inside the box. Cork didn’t let up after that, and on 68 minutes Captain Becky Cassin made a great run into the box and scored with a great finish to make it level again.

Chances after chances came from both sides in one of the closest games of the Women’s National League so far, but it was Cork’s Eva Mangan who got the winner after a spectacular finish from a free-kick outside the box. A fantastic way to win the match and get the three points.

Sligo Rovers v Shelbourne - SSE Airtricity Women's National League

Photo by Ben McShane/Sportsfile

Wexford Youths 4-1 DLR Waves
Wexford knew coming into this game that a win would move them to within two points of leaders Shelbourne and took to the field with youngster Jess Lawler taking over at centre forward.

But it was stalwart and leading scorer Ellen Molloy who broke the deadlock after 23 minutes when her probing run across the 18 yard line ended with a beautifully judged low shot into the corner of the DLR net.

Half-time came and went with Wexford looking comfortable against A DLR side that weren’t offering much in the way of a threat on goal, but on 52 minuted Sarah McKevitt was fed down the right. She headed for goal, stepped inside Nicola Sinnott and chipped Eve Badana with exquisite accuracy to level the scores.

On 76 minutes Kylie Murphy tucked home a Della Doherty cross to make it 3-1 and five minutes from time Rossiter got her second of the night to seal the win for Wexford, putting themselves within one win of the league leaders.

Athlone Town 0-2 Peamount United
The TG4 cameras were at the Athlone Town Stadium for this meeting of 3rd and 4th in the WNL league table and Alannah McEvoy should have put Peamount ahead after 13 minutes when she scooped the ball wide with the Athlone goal at her mercy.

Later in the half Athlone’s Gillian Keenan took too much time over a clear shooting opportunity to pass up a great chance to put the home side ahead, something they came to regret when, on the stroke of the half-time, Karen Duggan was teed up by Erin McLaughlin inside the Athlone box and drove the ball home to give Peamount the lead.

In the second half Erin McLaughlin and Aine O’Gorman both missed great chances to double Peamount’s lead before Chloe Moloney did so after 53 minutes, firing in from close range after her own header had come back off the Athlone woodwork.

Athlone responded well and McLaughlin had to clear a headed effort off the Peamount line before, seconds later, Maddie Gibson clattered a shot off the post with Niamh Reid-Burke beaten.

In the final quarter both teams had chances as fatigue took hold but Peamount came out on top of an absorbing contest that was a credit to both teams.

Shelbourne 0-0 Bohemians
Shelbourne had played out a scoreless draw with Bohemians on 27th July, fulfilling this Series 20 fixture ahead of time due to Shels' Women's UEFA Champion's League schedule.

Bohemians v Galway WFC - FAI Women's Cup First Roun

Photo by Michael P Ryan/Sportsfile

Sign Up to our newsletter

Processing your request...

Follow us for more